Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Learning to Ride

Today Chickadee came to me and told me that she wanted to learn to ride her bike without training wheels. I was actually surprised at this request. I know she is beyond ready at the age of 7 to ride without training wheels, but she doesn't really ride her bike all that much. When Coot got home from work, I told him about her request. We decided that after we ate dinner we would take her out and let her give it a shot. She did pretty good, but was too nervous to pedal for very far before putting her feet down and stopping. I guess it's a good case of nervousness and a fear of falling. We chose a grassy spot, because if she did fall she wouldn't get hurt badly. I am proud of her effort. She began to get tired and stopped trying as hard, so we called it a day and said we would try again on Thursday evening. Hopefully she will get it down then. Sparrow was wanting in on the action, so he pulled out his tractor to ride on. He got in the way a couple of times, but soon figured out that Chickadee did not have the best steering abilities without her trusty training wheels. He quickly learned to stay out of her way.

Look at that smile on his face! He was happy to be outside with his tractor. I am one proud mama! I love my children. Chickadee did great with only two real accidents. She put her feet down most of the time before she fell, so that prevented a lot of tears. Here is a video clip of her giving it her best shot.

video

I remember the first time I rode without training wheels. It was scary, but so exciting at the same time. I remember my two older sisters cheering me on. It was fun. I remember how grown up I felt when I conquered it. Hopefully this will be a really good memory for her as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ to read your comments!
PLEASE, if your blog is not linked to your profile, leave me the URL so I can visit. Also, if your email is not set up properly I can not respond to you!
Thanks for stopping by our nest. Drop in anytime!