Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Homemade Salsa & Fruit Leather

Today, I went out to my garden and picked 3 jalapeno peppers and some cilantro. I also had a few Roma tomatoes that were ripe and ready to be picked. It was time to make some salsa.

Now, three Roma tomatoes is not near enough to make salsa with so I had to settle for canned tomatoes. I poured my tomatoes into the blender and then added fresh pressed garlic, cilantro, onion, salt, and the jalapeno.

It turned out really good. I am so proud of how well my garden is turning out this year. At last count, there were 12 melons growing!! That's a lot of melon!


I also decided to try my hand at making fruit leather (fruit roll-ups). A gardening friend of ours brought us a shopping bag full of fresh blueberries! YUM!!
I put 4 cups of blueberries and 2 cups of red grapes into the blender and pureed them.
I then added 2 teaspoons of 100% lemon juice and blended again.
Then I had to put it in a pot and bring to a boil. After it reached a boil, I turned the heat down to medium high and had to keep the mixture moving until it thickened.


Then I spread it out on some wax paper on a cookie sheet (it took 3 cookie sheets for how much I made).

Then I put it in a 200 degree oven and let it "bake" until it was no longer sticky to the touch.

The pan I had on the bottom rack only took 1.5 hours the other two pans took about 2.5 hours. It probably varies depending on your oven and how thick or thin you smooth out the fruit.

I rolled up the fruit leather with the wax paper and then cut it into 2 inch strips. All you have to do is peel the wax paper off when you're ready to eat it.

We loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ to read your comments!
PLEASE, if your blog is not linked to your profile, leave me the URL so I can visit. Also, if your email is not set up properly I can not respond to you!
Thanks for stopping by our nest. Drop in anytime!