Monday, August 9, 2010

Why I Homeschool


Why do I homeschool? That seems to be the resounding question. Because of this, I decided to make a post to try to answer that question. Not only does it give you answers, but it allows me to put my own heart felt answer into words. I have always known why I homeschool, but have had a hard time articulating those reasons. So, here it goes...

First and foremost, I would say I homeschool because I am a Christian. My children are learning everything that public school teaches, but from a Godly perspective. They will learn about creation, not evolution. They are learning to have Godly characteristics. Through the curriculum they are learning 60 character traits of Christ such as honesty, loyalty, and kindness to apply to their own lives. The curriculum keeps scripture at its core. My children are encouraged to grow and learn spiritually as well as educationally.

Second - I can rest assured they are getting a high quality education. They are getting one-on-one attention. They aren't being pushed through the system. They can work at their own pace and skill level. Which means, if they are struggling in an area, they can slow down and really master the material. They aren't being taught to "pass a test". They are actually learning the material.

Third - They are learning in a comfortable environment. They are not being subjected to peer pressure or a need to "fit in". They can admit when they don't understand something without the worry of ridicule.

Forth - FREEDOM! There is no set structure. We can take a break for an impromptu lesson. We can take an unplanned field trip without worrying about ruining our schedule. We can also sleep in and do our school work in our pajamas! Who doesn't dream about working in their pajamas??


Fifth - My children can be just that, children. They can be curious and inquisitive.
Who taught them how to talk? Who helped them roll over, crawl, and walk? We, their parents, did. Education really does begin in the home. The day they take their first breath, they look to us to teach and guide them. So, why not continue that through their school years?

Sixth - Play time!! Some schools have taken recess out of the school day. Some have even gone as far as removing PE. Children need play time. They need the opportunity to get out of their chairs and move around.

Seventh - The ability to nurture their talents. I can work around their own unique interests. If they have a love of art or music, I can encourage that area. I can help them explore that particular talent in a way that public school can't. I want them to be able to focus on their own individual talents as they grow. I think it is important for a child's talents to be encouraged.

And last but not least, they are learning skills outside of the textbooks/workbooks. They are learning how to apply what they learn as they learn it. When my daughter started fractions, I was able to show her the fractions on a measuring cup. I let her measure out flour, sugar, and butter to make some sugar cookies. Her learning skills were being applied in a hands on way. A way that she is going to remember for a life time.
Quality time spent with their family, but learning at the same time?! You can't beat that!

~Lark

1 comment:

  1. I like what you had to say about why you homeschool. My kids are only 1 and 3, but we're determined to homeschool for the same reasons and so we can shelter them longer! There are some things they just don't need to know yet!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to read your comments!
PLEASE, if your blog is not linked to your profile, leave me the URL so I can visit. Also, if your email is not set up properly I can not respond to you!
Thanks for stopping by our nest. Drop in anytime!