Friday, September 24, 2010

Johnny Appleseed Day!

Johnny Appleseed's real name was Johnny Chapman. He was born September 26, 1774. He planted apple trees throughout the Midwestern United States. He was a very skilled nursery man. He would plant nurseries and build fences around them to keep animals out. He would then travel from nursery to nursery taking care of the trees. He would sell or trade the trees he grew. He died on March 18, 1845 at the age of 70. The U.S. Postal Service made a 5 cent stamp honoring him in 1966.


This Sunday, September 26th is Johnny Appleseed's birthday. This day and March 18th, have been celebrated as Johnny Appleseed Day. In honor of the great conservationist and his planting of apple trees, I thought you might want to do some crafts or make some yummy apple goodies. Here are some links to some fun crafts and recipes to celebrate!

Tote bag
Apple Recipes
Apple Art

To read the story of Johnny Appleseed to your children, you can find the stories here and here.


~Lark

3 comments:

  1. That was very interesting. I guess I never really knew their was a real live Johnny Appleseed lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son studied the American legends last year and all sounded wonderful about Johnnie, until this year, we stumbled upon a book we had on a shelf that said Johnnie did a lot of clearing of trees in order to plant his apple trees. Yikes! I'd never heard this mentioned before. No wonder this information is left out of other stories. it doesn't put him in the best light, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat post. I like reading little tidbits like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to read your comments!
PLEASE, if your blog is not linked to your profile, leave me the URL so I can visit. Also, if your email is not set up properly I can not respond to you!
Thanks for stopping by our nest. Drop in anytime!