Friday, February 18, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Roll


What you will need for the cake batter: 3 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup hot water, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Confectioner's Sugar for rolling the cake up.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a jelly roll pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray. (I just used my cookie sheet and it worked just fine). Beat the eggs until thick and lemon colored (about 5 minutes is what I recommend). Gradually add 1 cup white sugar, beating constantly. Add water and vanilla extract. Fold in flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour batter into pan.
My son enjoyed "cleaning" the bowl when I was done.

Bake for 15 minutes. The cake should be "springy" to touch and pulling away from the pan at the edges.


Turn upside down on powdered (confectioner's sugar) kitchen towel.


Roll it up and let it cool completely.


Meanwhile, make the filling. You will need: Cool whip or 1 cup heavy whipping cream (whipped till it forms stiff peaks), 1 Tablespoon strawberry gelatin, 1 Tablespoon sugar, and fresh strawberries cut into small pieces.


Unroll the cake carefully so that it doesn't crack. It may crack some, but you don't want the cracks going all the way through the cake.


Spread filling on the inside and roll back up. Let chill in the refrigerator.



Enjoy!

~Lark

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com, but I changed it some. I am thinking I am going to tweak it a little more and add some softened cream cheese to the filling to make it a little thicker. It was pretty airy and wanted to squeeze out of the roll too easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ to read your comments!
PLEASE, if your blog is not linked to your profile, leave me the URL so I can visit. Also, if your email is not set up properly I can not respond to you!
Thanks for stopping by our nest. Drop in anytime!